All About The Dark Web And Deep Web
Learn all about the dark web, deep web, and darknet. You can access these parts of the internet with the help of TOR browser. In this article, we also talk about search engines for deep web and onion website directories. Let’s learn what is so dangerous about the shadowy world of the Dark Web
What is Dark Web?
The dark web is the World Wide Web content that exists on the darknet, overlay networks which use the public Internet but which require specific software, configurations or authorization to access. The dark web forms a small part of the deep web, the part of the Web not indexed by search engines, although sometimes the term “deep web” is mistakenly used to refer specifically to the dark web.
Common web browsers like Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari etc. can not access the Dark Web. An Example of browser From Which we can access the dark web is TOR Browser.Tor is free software for enabling anonymous communication. The name is derived from an acronym for the original software project name “The Onion Router”.
What is the difference between Dark Web and Dark Net?
Darknet refers to the hardware infrastructure where DarkWeb resides. The difference between DarkWeb and Darknet is same as that between WWW and Internet.
What is the difference between Deep Web and Dark Web?
The DEEP WEB is a place which exists in the dark web area And It cannot access by normal search engines. It contains databases, dynamic content, some forums, sites that have never been spidered, and any other content that Google & company have not listed.
The “dark web” is any Web-like network that uses proprietary protocols or requires special software to access. There are several such networks, TOR and Freenet being the most popular.
Deep Web is a part of the regular World Wide Web. But it remains hidden from the popular search engines like Google. Search engines can not access DeepWeb because of database issues, authorization problems, firewall setup etc.
Due to these problems, search engines do not index DeepWeb and thus a user will not get to see results from this part of the WWW. There are some directories available that provide the listing of websites in the DeepWeb. People often call these directories as search engines for Deep Web.
List of some of the search engines for Deep Web:
2. Deep Web Research Tools
What is TOR?
TOR is an acronym for The Onion Router. TOR refers to a software that allows anonymous communication through a network constituted by more than seven thousand relays set up by volunteers worldwide. Information flowing through TOR network is encrypted and can not easily be tracked by authorities. TOR puts multiple encryptions on information layer by layer — and that’s why it is called the Onion!
TOR is the network of servers where Dark Web exists. People who want to communicate anonymously, use TOR and all the information that resides on TOR constitutes the Dark Web.
What is TOR Browser?
Tor is free software for enabling anonymous communication. The name is derived from an acronym for the original software project name “The Onion Router”. Using Tor makes it more difficult for Internet activity to be traced back to the user: this includes “visits to Web sites, online posts, instant messages, and other communication forms”.
Tor browser is used for hiding the identity of a user. As well as their freedom and ability to conduct confidential communication by keeping their Internet activities from being monitored.
Onion routing is implemented by encryption in the application layer of a communication protocol stack, nested like the layers of an onion. Tor encrypts the data, including the destination IP address, multiple times and sends it through a virtual circuit comprising successive, randomly selected Tor relays.
How to Access Dark Web?
Before you read the instructions given below and head to the Dark Web, you should read the next section on whether you should connect to the Dark Web or not.
If you want to access anything of Dark Web, first of all, you need to download the TOR browser. Just downloading and installing TOR browser will not help you. You would need to configure TOR browser and your applications to send data through TOR. If you use TOR browser without proper configuration, your information will not be encrypted.
Thankfully, there is a version of TOR browser that comes pre-configured (it’s called the TOR browser bundle). Just download it and get going.
When you say “how to access the Dark Web?”, you’re actually asking how to access websites that are located in the Dark Web. Unlike regular domain names extensions, websites in the Dark Web bear .onion extension. Now let’s put together all the steps to access the DarkWeb:
- Download TOR browser
- Install it (and configure it, if required)
- Open TOR browser. As soon as you open the TOR browser, you’ll be connected to the DarkWeb
- Go to any of the directories that list the Dark Wen websites. For example:
- Hidden Wiki
- HiddenWiki Deep Web Links
- Dear TechWelkin reader, please note that our linking to the above websites is not an endorsement of these websites or the links provided on them. Use your own judgment before accessing any website on the Dark WebAs you will notice, the Dark Web websites do not have an easy to remember domain name. Names are long and complicated.
Should you visit the Dark Web?
If you don’t know what you’re doing, we recommend that you stay away from the Dark Web websites. It is not a wise idea to enter DarkWeb just out of curiosity. DarkWeb is full of software and activities that might harm your computer and — probably you as a person. The above instructions are only for those users who really know dangers of the Dark Web.
Because it is tough to track, the DarkWeb is also used by anti-social elements like drug dealers, hackers, mafia etc. We recommend the following precautions if you decide to use the DarkWeb:
- Do not use your credit card on Dark Web websites — your credit card details could be stolen.
- Downloading from the dark web is harmful.
- Do not give your bank details to anyone (well, that goes for the “surface web” as well!).
- Using ToR browser Do not share your passwords.
- Dark Web is full of Trojan Horses (the stuff that appears to be good but isn’t). Do not get into anything that seems too good to be true.
- Do not open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat or other PDF readers. Instead of downloading and opening PDF or DOC files, you should read them directly in the TOR browser.
- You must use only those .onion websites that support encrypted information.
- DO NOT use your real name, email address, username, password, photo or anything. In the DarkWeb everybody is anonymous and so should you be. Create a new email ID, with a completely new username and password. Use this throwaway email ID if you have to submit an email address on a DarkWeb website.
The regular search engine does not access or show results from the DarkWeb. But a few web directories are there that provides the list of Hidden Services (aka websites in the Dark Web).
List of some of the search engines for Dark Web: